Impacto Chile Hackathon
Hack for a sustainable future
3-5 September | Online
Calling for global innovators to help Chile achieve Sustainable Development Goals, especially in the key areas of Air Quality, Sustainable Agriculture and more!
Impacto Chile Hackathon is an open innovation competition, organized collaboratively by Finland and Chile. The best solutions from the Hackathon will be awarded a trip to Finland worth €10 000, visiting the space observation centers in the Arctic Circle or in Helsinki.
Empowering the innovation community of Chile to co-create innovative sustainable solutions.
Impacto Chile Hackathon is open for all innovative solutions that can address key challenges and accelerate Chile’s progress towards UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The Hackathon also highlights 2 key areas: Air Quality and Agriculture & Forestry. Urban and industrial air pollution also endangers human health and environments, which should be monitored and addressed properly with Chile’s future development. Forestry and fruit, vegetables and wine production have always been key sectors in the Chilean economy.
The Hackathon encourages all participants to utilize Copernicus Satellite Data as a great tool to tackle the challenge domains. More about the challenge below.
The Hackathon will be organized online from 3-5 September.
Best solutions will be awarded:
Chile is the leader in Latin America on progress towards Sustainable Development Goals. The country ranked 28th out of 193 UN members (Sustainable Development Report 2020 by Cambridge) making big steps forward especially in reducing poverty (Goal 1), improving quality education (Goal 4) and providing cleaner water and sanitation (Goal 6).
Major challenges still remain for many areas and we need to accelerate the process to be on track to achieving the 2030 Agenda. We’re calling for you, innovators, to drive further improvements in Sustainable Development, focusing on the three key challenges of Chile: air quality, sustainable agriculture & forestry and mining.
- Transportation sector: how to monitor and reduce air pollutants from light, medium and heavy vehicles? How to improve the energy efficiency in transportation to reduce air pollution?
- Industrial sector: the production and consumption of energy also produces a lot of gas waste that is disposed into the air. How can we reduce emission from power plants and transition to more renewable energy?
- Individual consumption: the main source of heating for many households is still from burning wood, emitting massive amounts of pollution with low efficiency.
Agriculture & Forestry
Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry
- Water management: Water shortage has always been the major threat to food security in Chile. With satellite data, we can:
- Monitor freshwater quality
- Estimate soil moisture to prevent unnecessary irrigation
- Measure irrigation efficiency
- Calculate the rate of evapotranspiration that can predict drought
- Snow cover monitoring
- Monitor crop health using various parameters observable in satellite multispectral data
- Monitor and reduce emission from agriculture, especially from fermentation process, cultivation, energy usage and agricultural waste
- Effectivize land-use
- Prevent and manage forest fire with satellite data
- Monitor forest coverage and ensure forest health for sustainable wood harvesting
- Utilize Copernicus Earth Observation Data to detect new mines
- Monitor environmental impact of mines with Copernicus
- Upgrade the logistics systems for the mining industry, reducing costs and improving delivery efficiency
All teams are encouraged to use Copernicus Satellite Data for their solutions. Teams can also use external data sources that they find to support their development.
15 best teams whose ideas contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals will be select to the Hackathon from all domains.
Announcement of selected teams
Friday, September 3rd, 2021
- 15.00 Opening session
- 16:00 Meet the Mentors and Checkpoint 1
- 17.30 Hacking and mentoring commences...
Saturday, September 4th, 2021
- 08:30 - 09:00 Community Yoga
- 10:00 - 10:30 Checkpoint 2
- 14:00 - 14:45 Pitching training
- 18:00 - 18:30 Checkpoint 3
Sunday, September 5th, 2021
- 09:00 Pitch Submission Deadline
- 10.30 - 11.00 Jury Briefing
- 11.00 - 12.45 Pitch streaming & Q&A
- 13.00 - 14.00 Jury Deliberation
- 14.00 - 15.00 Announcement of winners and closing
© 2021 ultrahack.org